Sunday, September 9, 2012

Heroes

Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge  this week celebrates Heroes

This card celebrates the men and women who serve our country.  My brother and his newly wed wife are serving in the armed forces. I was thinking of them when deciding what to create. 


 The card uses a mix of Artistic Outpost images to create a card celebrating our soldiers.


I started from a kraft card base.  I added two banners embossed with stars. I distressed and sponged the edges of the banners.

I stamped the solder on white cardstock using black ink. I then cut the image out and sponged with brown dye ink. 

I colored the flag portion of the stamp using watercolor markers:
After I colored the image with my red and blue marker I spritzed it with my water bottle to keep the ink moist.  I layered the solder over the flag. I distressed the edges of the flag image and sponged it with brown dye ink.

I stamped the Hero sentiment by coloring the stamp using the same watercolor marker and stamping it onto white cardstock.

I decided to add hinges onto the edge of the card:



I took the little screws that came with hinges and cut the ends off using my wire cutters.

I always cup my hand over the screw when cutting. (I had heard of someone shooting it into their eye!)

I then just glued them into the opening after gluing on the hinge.

I also wanted to create a card in remembrance of 9/11.  There were so many heroes during that difficult time and this card remembers them:



Products:  Artistic Outpost HeroArtistic Outpost - She-Roes, Cuttlebug Embossing Folder Stars, Ranger Distress Inks - Broken China, Ranger Distress Marker - Broken China, Ranger Distress Marker - Fired Brick Paper Artsy Hardware

Come join us and play along in the challenge.  Everyone who plays along in the challenge has an opportunity to win a $50.00 Gift Voucher to Simon Says Stamp.


Have a wonderful Monday!
Suzz

14 comments:

  1. stunning Suzz. What lovely cards to celebrate the Heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This are wonderful Sue. The watercolour flag came out so well and all the details are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning creations Suzz, love how you added colour to the flag on the first card, such a wonderful piece to celebrate our serving soldiers. Love the added hinges too. The second card is such a lovely way to get us all to remember/think about the devastation of 9/11. Wonderful ! Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning patriotic cards, fab combination of AO images! Love the skyline added to the flag image! Wonderful way to honor our hero's and she-roes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzz...your card is very cool. I love the watercolor stamping that you've done. That is so effective! Love the kraft background. Love the little added metallic stars and brackets on the edge of the card. That is a cool idea. I also love the wrapped twine. That adds so much! Beautiful job! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cards, I love the addition of the hinges on that first one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great works honouring your Heroes!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Both of these cards are amazing. The colors are wonderful. They have a vintage feel to them.

    I do hope you have a happy week my friend.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very lovely and thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely of you to pay tribute to your family members that have and/or are so bravely serving our country! Something to be so proud of, and a gorgeous piece!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sa-weet Sue! These are fabulous, love them, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful projects Suzanne! I love the hinges on your hero card. The second card is so touching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant celebration projects Sue. The hinges on the first one are a great touch and I love the coloured flag behind the monochrome images.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card for your heroic family! The hinges are such a great touch! Love it! And what a great tip to cut the tops off! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!