Sunday, July 20, 2014

Starry Starry Night


Mid-summer is a time of hot temperatures, long days, longing for more time spent by the water, and vacation. Whether your creative mind wants to take a vacation or be inspired by Shakespeare; play with a Farmer’s Market inspired paper line or stamp into a starry night frenzy  - the challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge is Mid-Summer.

I kept thinking of Shakespeare's Mid-Summer Dream with the starry nights and fairies.

I made a variety of projects based on a technique I was playing with to create my dancing fairies.
I created a variation of  the  salt with inky sprays technique.  I started with spraying a surface of white cardstock with yellow glimmer mist.  I sprinkled salt on the surface. I let that dry.  I repeated with Dylusions ink spray. I also created one more sheet with a darker yellow and orange mix.

 After the salt dried I scraped off the inky salt and sprinkled it onto another sheet of white cardstock:
 I then spritzed it with water to re-activate the ink but in small doses of color:
 After that dries I scrapped off the salt and this is what remained:




This gave me a nice variety of backgrounds to play with I created a midnight scene:


I stamped script over the background (definition of dreams) which seemed perfect for my Mid Summer Night Dream.  I then added the mix of flowers and grass along the bottom.  I then sponged black ink around the edges.  I took white acrylic paint and mixed it with water to make it very runny and then I took an old toothbrush (ran through the dishwasher first) and filled it with white paint.  I then used my finger to pull the bristles back and sprayed the white across the surface.



I finished my scene with butterflies stamped in white ink over the surface and hand drew little crowns and a body for my fairies.  I added the quote using black stickers.

My second project used the white background with the yellow fairies.


I sponged over a stencil to create the focal point with black dye ink and finished off the background with a mix of music, flowers and a bird on a branch.  I added the music sentiment and sponged the edges.

Products: Darkroom Door - Melody, Hero Arts - With Sympathy, Darkroom Door - Wildflowers, Memory Box Bird on a branch, Memento Dye Ink - BlackTattered Angels - Glimme Mist (Yellow) , Tattered Angels - Yellow Glimmer Mist , White Acrylic PaintMy Minds Eye - Black Stickers, Stampers Anonymous - Spring Sprung, Clear Embossing Powder, Ultra-Fine - Glitter, Ranger Distress Inks - Mustard Yellow, Ranger Archival Ink - Black Ink

For an opportunity to  win a   Simon Says Stamp $50 Gift Voucher all you need to do is share your midsummer inspiration.  

Thanks for stopping by!

Suzz

16 comments:

  1. very inspiring as usual Suzz. Lovely projects

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful projects! You've captured the look and feel of a Summer's evening. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow! My jaw dropped at these (in a good way, of course)! I was really impressed with this salt technique, which I hadn't ever heard of. What a unique look it gives! These totally rang true to the Shakespeare vibe with me and I loved the dreamy quality they have. The sentiment you included about earth having music for those who listen was very inspiring. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! What a neat way to do an evening scene! I love it!!


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pieces of art Suzz, the salt technique is such fun and I love your backgrounds. Very eye catching designs and the images and stamping are lovely. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness Suzanne! What a fabulous set of projects! Love the pretty scenes that you created!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so beautiful!!! I love the effect you got and all the wonderful texture. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE, just LOVE your cards ! I have to try that technique...Thanks for the inspiration...Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool, Suzz! Love the great contrast! It's really stunning! Both projects are! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... the background colors and patterns are amazing. Love your great inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning projects and the backgrounds are amazing. This is just wonderful and great inspiration for our theme! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The mid-summer is a wonderful time and you've interpreted it perfectly! I always like to see how the theme of the week inspires you multiple projects!Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love the depth you have achieved here with the vibrant contrast of light and dark!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and spending a little time here with me on my blog!